Mt. Diablo Unified School District provides school options for all students, K-12. Our schools offer various programs and services that may be the best fit for your child. We encourage parents / guardians to fully research the school options available, starting with the school of residence. For more information about individual schools, please click on the link below.
School transfer options are described below. MDUSD will attempt to accommodate all requests for school transfer, based on program and classroom space availability.
Request Period is October 17, 2016 - January 17, 2017
WE ARE NO LONGER ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THE 2017-2018 SCHOOL YEAR (THIS APPLIES TO CURRENT GRADES K-11)
Intradistrict transfers are for students who reside inside the MDUSD boundaries requesting to transfer to another MDUSD school.
Very limited spaces are available at:
Delta View Elementary, College Park High School and Northgate High School.
ATTENTION INCOMING KINDERGARTENERS (2017-2018)
Request Period is February 10, 2017 - March 1, 2017
Incoming Kindergarteners: Intradistrict Transfer applications for incoming Kindergarteners may be requested after the student is registered at his/her school of residence.
Kindergarten registration for MDUSD is February 7, 2017. Please contact your school of residence for times. (This excludes Monte Gardens Elemenatry and Sequoia Elementary).
Student Services will be accepting Kindergarten applications on February 10, 2017.
These applications must be submitted no later than March 1, 2017.
- Applications will be available online, at schools, and at the District Office, beginning February 10, 2016.
- Student must be enrolled in their resident school, prior to submitting a transfer application.
Types of Transfers
- School Choice (1-12)
- Applications are accepted for students who reside in MDUSD and want to attend another MDUSD school
- Open Enrollment Act SBX5 4 (1-12)
- Applications are accepted for students whose residence school for 2017-2018 would be:
Fair Oaks Elementary, Sun Terrace Elementary, El Dorado Middle, Oak Grove Middle, Riverview Middle and Ygnacio Valley HighCan Select ANY MDUSD school with a higher API score
- OPTION FORM (ENGLISH & SPANISH) (9-12)
- Applications are accepted for students who live within MDUSD boundaries, and are not assigned to a specific High School attendance area
- Two-Way Dual Immersion (TWDI) (1-2)
Applications are accepted for students who want to participate in TWDI, at Bancroft Elementary, to develop bi-literacy in English and Spanish, master grade level core standards, and develop cultural proficiency
Parents/Guardians provide transportation
Lottery: Student Services will conduct a public lottery for vacant spots at all schools. All vacant spots will be filled in lottery order. Only applications received by the deadline date will be entered into the lottery. The lottery for middle and high school is February 13, 2017 and the lottery for elementary is April 13, 2017.
Notification: Parents/guardians will be notified in writing by April 30, 2017 for 6th – 12th grades; and by August 1, 2017 for K-5th grades of approval or denial of transfer request.
Choice - If parents/guardians are denied a transfer due to space availability, they may appeal this decision by submitting a letter in writing to the Assistant Superintendent by the date indicated in the denial letter. Appeals will be accepted only for students denied a transfer. Notification of the results of an appeal will be made in a timely manner. No appeals will be accepted for those students who were offered a school. The decision of the Assistant Superintendent is final and no additional appeals will be accepted.
SBX5 4 - If the first, second and third school choices are at enrollment capacity, the District will assign a school with space at the requested grade level. Once an offer of a school is made, there is NO appeal.
Enrolling in the approved school: Parents/guardians must enroll the student at the approved school within two weeks or as indicated in the notification letter. Once enrolled, the transfer is in effect through the 5th grade for elementary, 8th grade for middle school and through 12th grade for high school. *PLEASE NOTE: Students on Intradistrict Transfers can be displaced prior to September 15 of the current year by students who reside in the school’s attendance area.(BP & AR 5116.1)
Students in 5th grade and 8th grade who wish to apply for an Intradistrict Transfer to middle or high school other than their school of residence must apply for a new Intradistrict Transfer for the next grade level.
Monte Gardens Elementary and Sequoia Elementary have a separate admission process. Please contact those schools directly to be placed on a waiting list.
1. Staff reserves the right to change or adjust the types of transfer to align to the California Department of Education (CDE) recommendations.
2. The transfer may be revoked if the student fails to demonstrate good attendance, satisfactory behavior and/or satisfactory academic progress.
Interdistrict Transfer Information for the 2017-2018 School Year
Request to be Released from MDUSD or Request to Enroll in MDUSD
Request Period is February 14, 2017 - August 2, 2017
The following schools are not accepting Interdistrict Transfer Requests:
Delta View Elementary, Monte Gardens Elementary, Sequoia Elementary, Foothill Middle, Sequoia Middle, College Park High School, Northgate High School
These forms are for students who reside outside of MDUSD school boundaries requesting a transfer to a MDUSD school or for those students who reside in the MDUSD school boundaries requesting a transfer to another School District.
Types of Transfers to be Released from MDUSD:
1. Employment (Grades TK - 12) Parent/Guardian must work within the boundaries of the District you are requesting enrollment. Proof of Employment is Required.
2. Child Care (Grades TK - 8) Child care provider must be located within the boundaries of the District you are requesting enrollment. Proof of Child Care is Required.
3. SBX5 4 (Grades K-12) Students who are currently attending Fair Oaks, Sun Terrace, El Dorado, Oak Grove, Riverview, or Ygnacio Valley High can apply for this type of transfer.
4. All Other Requests (Grades TK - 12) These requests will be approved/denied based on MDUSD Board Policy 5117.
Types of Transfers to be Enrolled in MDUSD:
Note: Parent/Guardian's request to enroll in MDUSD is based on enrollment capacity and space availability.
1. Employment (Grades TK - 12) You must work within MDUSD boundaries. Proof of Employment is Required.
2. Child Care (Grades TK - 8) Child care provider must be located within MDUSD boundaries. Proof of Child Care is Required.
3. All Other Requests (Grades TK - 12) These requests will be approved/denied based on MDUSD Board Policy (5117).
1. Complete the appropriate Interdistrict Transfer Application
2. Provide Proof of Employment/Child Care
- Current Payroll Stub (work location address must be on the stub)
- Letter from Employer on Employer's Letter Head
- Letter from Child Care Provider (address must be included on the letter)
3. If requesting enrollment in MDUSD, you Must obtain a Release from your District of Residence and submit the Release with your application.
Incomplete Applications Cannot be Processed.
This includes the following:
- Failure to provide proof of employment
- Failure to provide proof of child care
- Failure to obtain an approved Release from your District of Residence
Applications will be available February 14, 2017 - August 2, 2017.
Reminder only one transfer per student per school year will be processed.
A parent/guardian may only apply for one transfer per student during a school year. If a parent/guardian has applied for an Intradistrict Transfer (a transfer within MDUSD), then a subsequent Interdistrict transfer (a transfer between MDUSD and another school district) will not be accepted.